The Federal Trade Commission enforces the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which prevents debt collectors & bill collectors from using abusive tactics collect debts.
Under the FDCPA, there are many things debt collectors cannot do. Some are:
- Contact you before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m,
- Contact you at work,
- Contact you after you’ve notified them in writing that you don’t wish to be contacted again,
- Discuss your debt with third parties,
- Contact you about the debt if you are represented by an attorney, like myself about the debt,
- Harass you with repeated phone calls or bad language,
- Threaten you with criminal charges,
- Send you documents that look like official government documents if they aren’t,
- Try to collect fees that aren’t allowed under your agreement, and
- Contact you by postcard.
Are you being harassed by a bad debt collector? If so, contact my office for a free consultation at (877) 449-8898 and find out what damages you may be entitled to.