Serving California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Illinois with COVID-19 precautions in place and convenient virtual meetings.

What should you do if you’re issued a false debt?

You can spend years building up a high credit score that makes it easy for you to apply for loans and mortgages. Unfortunately, a single mistake or a false charge can bring your credit score down 200 points or more. What can you do if your credit score suddenly drops in the state of California?

How can you repair a damaged credit score?

If your score was damaged through no fault of your own, you might have to call the source of the mistaken charge. Once the charge has been taken off your record, your credit score could be restored to its original level. However, it can take some time for this to be reflected in your credit report, so don’t panic if it doesn’t happen right away.

If you’ve given it some time and your score still hasn’t changed, you can follow up on the issue with the office that made the charge. The office might have to notify the collections agency about the mistake. You can also file a dispute with the credit bureau by sending a copy of your credit report and your recent correspondence.

After a month passes, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau if your credit report still hasn’t changed. You might also wish to hire an attorney with experience in consumer rights.

When should you consider hiring an attorney?

Many people don’t realize that they have certain rights as a consumer. One of these rights is freedom from harassment by debt collectors, particularly if it’s based on an office error. An attorney might be able to get the debt agencies to stop harassing you and help you get the debt taken off your record. As a result, you may repair the damage to your credit score.